Designing the Best Sign for Your Business
A sign is the first impression that you make with your customers. Well designed and quality signage will make people stop and shop. Having effective signage allows any business to be able to compete in a highly competitive, fast-paced market. Signs provide continuous advertising and marketing seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
If your business is on a busy road, increased visibility is needed to stand out among the clutter. Want to communicate effectively with visitors on your campus? Install aesthetic directional signs. If your sign can’t be seen at night, then light it up with an LED sign. Want to be seen by speeding motorists on a highway? A pole or pylon sign is what you need.
Skilled sign professionals understand how to get the consumer's attention. They can advise on effective sign elements, finishes, and placement. They also ensure that your sign will meet all local regulations and ordinances.
Choosing a Sign Design
You may have your logo and message ready to submit to a sign company. Before you begin the design process and start picking out colors, there are a few points to consider.
Location. The location of your sign will affect the type of design to choose. The location will also dictate the size and type of sign for your business or organization.
Budget. How much do you have to spend on a new sign? Vinyl graphics for windows will not cost as much as an LED sign. The amount available to spend plays a major factor in the design and type of signage.
City Sign Code. Depending on where you do business, city codes often factor into the design of your sign. What is or isn’t allowed in a certain business district can affect your options in designing a sign.
Signage for Growth
There are various reasons businesses choose to have a sign. It can help customers to find their location, provide information on the business, or help them stand out among their competitors. To stay in business, you need to increase sales. To increase sales, you need an advertising and marketing plan. One of the best and easiest ways to market your business is with a sign.
According to the International Sign Association , there are 3 main ways a sign can be used for marketing and growing your business.
- Attract New Customers. With increased visibility of a sign, you can reach consumers driving or walking by. Improved design can also entice new customers to utilize your products or services.
- Brand the Business. Make your business recognizable with consistency in color scheme, logo, and messaging. Everything should be the same even on your letterhead and business cards, imprinting your business in the minds of consumers. They should know what they’ll get each time they see your sign.
- Create Impulse Sales. To attract impulse customers, the design of your sign must relay what is being sold. The most important information should be recognized with a glance.
The Design Process
Your sign should convey what you sell and enhance your brand. The overall design of a sign should be considered as part of the architecture of the building. The design process should and can be easy, starting with a consultation between you and the sign company. During this meeting, the sign company will solicit your input and discuss your business’s messaging goals and budget.
A visit to your location will give the sign representative a chance to assess measurements, traffic volumes, and visibility for the best placement. If you choose to have an electrical sign, they will determine electrical sources.
A good sign company should know the local ordinances on what is allowed in signage.
If you don’t have a logo yet, a sign company’s graphic designers will be able to create them for you. Or if you already know what you want your sign to look like, the graphic designers will work with the artwork or drawings that you submit. Colors and finishes are discussed and weighed before a final design is completed.
Once a design has been drafted, approval is required by all decision makers. The timeline for approval is dependent upon the number of signs and decision makers. After the design has been approved by your business, the following will take place:
- Permitting. Most exterior signs will require a permit from your local municipality.
- Manufacturing. The time it takes to fabricate a sign varies. Size and complexity of design are two key factors.
- Shipping. There are different shipping options available. The weight and size of your sign help determine the shipping costs.
- Installation. Make sure your business site is ready for installation.
Schlosser Sign Options
No matter the industry, facility, or location, there is a sign for every business. Quality design, attention to detail and the art of communication can all be displayed in signage. There are many types of signs to choose from. Schlosser Signs provides the following options:
- Monument Signs: Freestanding ground signs that are attached to a base.
- Channel Letters: These include Pan channel letters that are three-dimensional letters. Reverse Channel Letters consist of a solid front and clear back to give a halo effect at night.
- Digital & Vinyl Graphics: Vinyl graphics can be found in windows.
- Directional & Wayfinding Signs: These signs offer assistance to pedestrians or drivers. Wayfinding signs provide directions inside a building.
- Electronic Message Centers (EMC): These signs project images and change messages and information, such as time or temperature.
- Interior Signs are signs inside of a building. These can include directories, wayfinding and regulatory.
- Pylon Signs help catch the attention of motorists. These are usually displayed near highways.
- Wall Signs attach to the exterior wall of a building.
- Blade Signs: These signs are found in shopping centers.
- Cabinet Signs can be used indoors or outdoors.
- Awnings & Canopies: These are found over walkways, doorways, and windows. A canopy can also function as a marquee.
- Electronic Signs: These illuminated signs can be used indoors and outdoors. Electronic signage can include fluorescent, incandescent, LED, and neon signs.
- Flat Cut Out Signs can be designed in many colors and finishes.
- LED Signs come in a variety of colors. They are very energy-efficient.
- Neon Signs come in many shapes and colors.
- Pole Signs: These are located beside a road so passersby can see the sign.
- Sandblasted Signs. A design is etched using sand and air.
- Stone Signs. Entrances to neighborhoods and businesses are often adorned with stone signs.
Questions to Ask a Sign Company
Working with a sign company should not be complicated. There are certain aspects of the design process that a sign company should be able to perform. These include design, permitting, manufacturing, and installation.
You want a sign that is built to last, easy to maintain and conforms to all local codes and standards. Ask your sign company for a list of signs it has installed in the area and visit them in person. Are they visible and legible from the street?
There are also some questions you can ask the sign company to determine if it is right for your business.
- Do you offer installation as part of your services?
- Do you include the necessary specialized equipment?
- Is safety an important component of your service?
- Are you licensed for the job and do you have all the necessary insurance?
- Do you offer routine maintenance plans?
- What types of signage are available at your sign shop?
- What specific services do you offer related to the sign process?
- What steps are involved in creating the sign I want, and what is the typical time frame involved?
- Do you allow visits into your plants, so I can see the operation?
- What type of sign(s) do you recommend for my business and why?
- How much experience do you have in manufacturing the type of sign that I want or that you are recommending?
- Are you a licensed contractor? If so, would you please provide the license number?
- Are you fully insured, including worker’s compensation? Will you provide a current copy of your insurance?
- Do you strictly adhere to accepted building structural requirements?
- Do you offer financing?
- What information do you need to begin?
- Where can I see this type of sign locally?
- Can you provide the names and contact information for some of your customers?
The Easy Solution
A signage company that offers a full-service solution to your design needs is what to look for when choosing a partner to help grow your business. You want to make sure they are fully insured and bonded. Experience in all phases of signage is important. A reputable sign company should have evidence of their work where you do business. You want to see firsthand the quality you can expect.
If you are looking for a team of professionals to make your design experience seamless, then Schlosser Signs is the choice for you. They have provided exceptional service and products for 23 years. Their sales consultants and project managers are knowledgeable and ensure the process is easy. Commitment to quality and customer satisfaction can be seen in their work. If you are considering installing a new sign or updating an old one, contact Schlosser signs to get started with your design.